[KS] Languages in Korea - and culture, and politics

Afostercarter at aol.com Afostercarter at aol.com
Thu May 26 07:49:57 EDT 2005

Professor Sasse's point about the cultural dimension
- in this context, also political - is very true, and highly pertinent.

If such resentment still smoulders in Germany, 15 years after reunification,
then a fortiori one shudders to think what the equivalent midnight bar talk
in Pyongyang
circa 2030 will be like. (Perhaps employing the language of fists, as well as
words...)

One thing's for sure. After reunification, south Koreans will look
down on north Koreans. Literally so; they are already taller.
(Somehow, I doubt that north Koreans will look up to south Koreans.)

Perhaps one reason why South Koreans currently seem so obsessed
with the past, is that the future looks too ghastly to contemplate?

I tried to raise such (to me) urgent issues in a journalistic article last
autumn:
http://joongangdaily.joins.com/200410/21/200410211823517339900092309231.html

It seems weird that unification - as a concrete, perhaps imminent challenge,
rather than a cosy abstract dream - goes almost undiscussed in Seoul.
Were I South Korean, thinking about the Korea my children will grow up in
- let alone how we get from here to there - would keep me awake at night.

Aidan FC

AIDAN FOSTER-CARTER
Honorary Senior Research Fellow in Sociology & Modern Korea, Leeds University

Home address: 17 Birklands Road, Shipley, West Yorkshire, BD18 3BY, UK
tel: +44(0)  1274  588586         (alt) +44(0) 1264 737434          mobile:
+44(0)  7970  741307
fax: +44(0)  1274  773663         ISDN:   +44(0)   1274 589280
Email: afostercarter at aol.com     (alt) afostercarter at yahoo.com      website:
www.aidanfc.net
[Please use @aol; but if any problems, please try @yahoo too - and let me
know, so I can chide AOL]