[KS] Two Sokkuram queries

Robert Oppenheim rmo at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Nov 9 14:23:01 EST 2005

Dear all,

I wonder if anyone could help me with two questions.  Forgive me if these
are obvious; I'm not an art historian:

1) The central Buddha at Sokkuram retains traces of red paint on its
lips.  Has anyone ever seen a discussion of how the rest of the stone
surfaces of the temple were painted, traces remaining into the 20th
century, etc.?  {Full disclosure: I've never been inside past the window to
see up close}.

2) Can anyone suggest a reference, more generally, to discussions of
conventions of depicting human figures in Korean Buddhist temple painting?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Rob Oppenheim

Robert Oppenheim
Assistant Professor