[KS] SOAS Librarians Reinstated

Owen Miller owen at saudade.plus.com
Tue Nov 22 14:24:22 EST 2005

I just like to add to the message forwarded by Robert Provine that the mood
at
SOAS is one of jubilation after this victory. It took the combined efforts
of the academic
staff, who voted overwhelmingly for a five-day strike, members of the
non-academic union Unison, who pledged their support and the students, who
threatened a joint walk-out and many of whom have been withholding their
tuition
fees. To this should be added the support that the two librarians, Sue Small
and
Fujiko Kobayashi, have received from Asianists and academic librarians
around the
world. The management held out for a long time in the face of the huge anger
and
solidarity that their decision elicited, but in the end they were forced to
crumble.

The two librarians have been fully reinstated and will resume their posts
next
Monday. In addition, the management has promised a review of the library
restructuring and of human resources processes.

Action does produce results.

Owen Miller
(SOAS Korean Studies)