[KS] question on Yushin

Vladimir Tikhonov vladimir.tikhonov at ikos.uio.no
Sat Jan 21 10:27:18 EST 2006

Dear all,

In fact, I guess it is a fact of common knowledge - "Yusin" and its
Japanese Meiji prototype are taken from the classical phraseology of
Shujing, the Canon of History. It pops up their repeatedly, and the most
famous stoke frase with this character component is, of course -
"Although Zhou is an ancient land, its mandate can be renewed"
(Chusukubang kimyOngyusin, if my memory works right). Japanese certainly
used this archaic expression in order to enhance the credibility of
"tenno-system" ideology, pointing out to its Confucian background. If we
are to believe Cho Kapche, Park Chong Hee was aware about the classical
meaning of "Yusin" ("moral renewal of the ruler and the political system
in orde to ensure the continuation of the Heavenly Mandate"). Even if he
did not learn Shujing by heart in his childhood, his educational advisor
Prof. Park Chonghong was certainly in position to tell him. The use of
the word embedded in the Chinese Imperial ideology is hardly accidental
in the context of the campaigns for "disseminating loyalty and filial
piety" the regime was condacting in the 1970s with almost grotesque zeal.

Vladimir Tikhonov (Pak Noja)

--
Vladimir Tikhonov,
Department of Culture Studies and Oriental Languages,

http://www.geocities.com/volodyatikhonov/volodyatikhonov.html
Electronic classrooms: East Asian/Korean Society and Politics:
                        http://folk.uio.no/vladimit/eastasianstudies.htm
                        http://www.geocities.com/uioeastasia2002/main.html
                        East Asian/Korean Religion and Philosophy:

http://www.geocities.com/uioeastasia2003/classroom.html