[KS] Old books online

Brother Anthony ansonjae at sogang.ac.kr
Tue Jul 11 10:17:24 EDT 2006

I suppose everyone knows that Corea or Chosen:
The
Land of the Morning Calm by

A. Henry Savage-Landor (1895) is freely available
online (including the illustrations) from Project Gutenberg?

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/13128/13128-h/13128-h.htm

I did not know it, until now. It certainly seems to have
a very lively style, and tells a lot of amusing stories but perhaps offers less
poetry than Isabella B.

Our Little Korean Cousin by H. Lee M. Pike also looks
interesting, (1905). It also has pictures, and goes into very great detail
about Korean daily life and customs. I wonder who the author was and how
reliable the information is. Tiger-skin rugs in a child's room?  I see from
Amazon.com that someone has recently printed the text and is selling it for
$88, which seems a lot of money.

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/12048/12048-h/12048-h.htm

Although Project Gutenberg have not got her book on
Korea, they do have several other of Isabella Bird's books (see the index at
http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/authors/b#a393
 )
and I think that the text of her Unbeaten Tracks in Japan
http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/etext00/utrkj10.txt
 might
be of special interest to members of this List.

Brother Anthony

Sogang Univeristy, Seoul, Korea

http://hompi.sogang.ac.kr/anthony/