[KS] Old Books Online

Konrad Mitchell Lawson kmlawson at fas.harvard.edu
Fri Jul 14 22:49:53 EDT 2006

Thanks very much to Brother Anthony for pointing out some of the old
books related to Korea available at the Gutenberg project.  I am also
delighted to hear from Thomas Duvernay that there is an ongoing
effort to create a digitized version of Bishop's Korea and Her
Neighbours.

I posted this information at Frog in a Well - Korea here:

http://www.froginawell.net/korea/2006/07/books-on-korea-available-
from-the-gutenberg-project/

and added some links and more discussion.

As I mention in the posting, I really hope that many more of these
wonderful, if interestingly problematic old works, will find a home
online, since as Thomas has discovered, they are not always easy to
get a hold of.

If we had more scanned and OCR versions of these books we could
submit them to Gutenberg's distributed proofreading project here:

http://www.pgdp.net/c/default.php

which is already working on a few older books on China and Korea.

A few of these classics (including those by Hulbert, McKenzie,
Bishiop, etc.) were reprinted by Yonsei University Press (in the "A
Series of Reprints of Western Books on Korea) and I snatched a few
copies I found still at large bookstores in Seoul.  However, when I
tried to order those I am still missing, I was told they were all out
of print.

I found and have looked at many of these old books via the Harvard-
Yenching library but it would be nice for them to be available to
everyone online for downloading/reading as they are a wonderful
resource to use for teaching and discussing Korean history and
historiography.   All those from at least before the mid-1920s are in
the public domain the United States.

Konrad Mitchell Lawson
kmlawson at fas.harvard.edu