[KS] Korea and Her Neighbours

Henny Savenije webmaster at henny-savenije.pe.kr
Wed Jul 12 23:18:17 EDT 2006

In case people consider doing the same thing. A high resolution
camera makes better quality copies and are easier to use in OCR programs.

At 10:56 AM 7/12/2006, Thomas Duvernay wrote:

>Actually, I have a really good OCR program (ABBYY v. 8.0), as do at
>least a couple of my students.  They came to me and asked if they
>could use the program; I allowed it, but with the understanding that
>they would check the texts thoroughly and make them into text-only
>files.  I really wanted students to type them out, as they would
>hopefully learn something while doing so, but in the case of those
>who had such software, I allowed them to semi-automate the
>process.  As I just supplied them with photocopies of the originals,
>OCR-generated files would not look very sharp (plus, many other
>students had already typed things out, so the two types of files
>would not be compatible, in any case).
>
>What I plan to do after I receive volume 1 is to have both volumes
>scanned and run through the OCR program.  As the original texts are
>delicate, expensive, and hard-to-find, I will have students do the
>scanning here at my office.  I'll post a message after everything is done.
>

>Thomas

Henny (Lee Hae Kang)
-----------------------------
http://www.henny-savenije.pe.kr Portal to all my sites
http://www.hendrick-hamel.henny-savenije.pe.kr (in English) Feel free
to discover Korea with Hendrick Hamel (1653-1666)
http://www.hendrick-hamel.henny-savenije.pe.kr/indexk2.htm In Korean
http://www.hendrick-hamel.henny-savenije.pe.kr/Dutch In Dutch
http://www.vos.henny-savenije.pe.kr Frits Vos Article about Witsen
and Eibokken and his first Korean-Dutch dictionary
http://www.cartography.henny-savenije.pe.kr (in English) Korea
through Western Cartographic eyes
http://www.hwasong.henny-savenije.pe.kr Hwasong the fortress in Suwon
http://www.oldKorea.henny-savenije.pe.kr Old Korea in pictures