[KS] Korea and Her Neighbours

Thomas Duvernay bluelake at handong.edu
Tue Jul 11 21:56:32 EDT 2006

Actually, I have a really good OCR program (ABBYY v. 8.0), as do at least a couple of my students.  They came to me and asked if they could use the program; I allowed it, but with the understanding that they would check the texts thoroughly and make them into text-only files.  I really wanted students to type them out, as they would hopefully learn something while doing so, but in the case of those who had such software, I allowed them to semi-automate the process.  As I just supplied them with photocopies of the originals, OCR-generated files would not look very sharp (plus, many other students had already typed things out, so the two types of files would not be compatible, in any case).

What I plan to do after I receive volume 1 is to have both volumes scanned and run through the OCR program.  As the original texts are delicate, expensive, and hard-to-find, I will have students do the scanning here at my office.  I'll post a message after everything is done.

Thomas