[KS] Use of term "tomato" in the DPRK

Leonid Petrov petrov at coombs.anu.edu.au
Thu Jun 29 07:48:01 EDT 2006

Dear Aidan and AOL clients,

Deberniere Torrey is quite right: "domado" is the only word used by North
Koreans for "tomato" these days.

Even though the Large Korean Dictionaries in the North and South give
"il-nyOn-gam" or "one year persimmon" as alternative, nobody really
understands it.

Leonid Petrov
*************
Keimyung International Summer Academy for Korean Studies
http://www.kisaks.com/courses/
--

Dear colleagues,

Does anyone else get the effect below?
AOL seems not to like hangul, so turns it
into strange symbols.

Can any techwise person kindly tell me
how to remedy this?

Meanwhile, at least in simple cases like these
where a single word is involved, could those
posting kindly also transliterate into English?

Kamsa hamnida,
Aidan

AIDAN FOSTER-CARTER
Honorary Senior Research Fellow in Sociology & Modern Korea, Leeds University
Home address: 17 Birklands Road, Shipley, West Yorkshire, BD18 3BY, UK
tel: +44(0)  1274  588586         (alt) +44(0) 1264 737634
mobile:  +44(0)  7970  741307
fax: +44(0)  1274  773663         ISDN:   +44(0)   1274 589280
Email: afostercarter at aol.com     (alt) afostercarter at yahoo.com
website: www.aidanfc.net
[Please use @aol; but if any problems, please try @yahoo too - and let me
know, so I can chide AOL]