[KS] Dear Leader

Jim Hoare jim at jhoare10.fsnet.co.uk
Wed Oct 4 15:50:55 EDT 2006

Dear all

I am not sure that I have seen all the correspondence on this issue, so
forgive me if I repeat what other's have said.

Commemorative plaques marking visits by the 'Dear Leader' are still to be
found all over the DPRK, and the title had not fallen into disuse in 2001-2,
although it was beginning to be replaced by Dear General or just Our
General. That said, I think that Ruediger is right and that Chairman is
accurate and neutral. There is an element of mockery in the way that
journalists and even some scholars continue to use the Dear Leader tag.

I do not recollect anybody translating the choson rodongtang as anything but
Korea Workers' Party,and this seems to be the DPRK preference. But since
labour is a collective noun for workers, it could be equally be the Korean
Labour Party.

Best wishes

Jim Hoare

  _____