[KS] Dear Leader

Ruediger_Frank ruediger.frank at univie.ac.at
Thu Oct 5 02:57:06 EDT 2006

Dear Jim and all,

thanks for highlighting the continued usage of Dear Leader, which actually went on until 2004, although only occasionally; here is what I have found on the title issue under http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/dprk/leadership-succession1.htm:

***
"By mid-November 2004 there were claims that North Korea's official media was no longer using the glorifying term of "Dear Leader" while referring to the country's head, Kim Jong-il. Instead the term "Leader" was used. Some analysts speculated that this reflected a downgrading of Kim Jong-il's status. But this does not appear to be correct. The last usage of "Dear Leader" in the KCNA english archive was in fact on 18 February 2004, in the context of a joint performance of the Art Troupe of Koreans in the United States and the State Symphony Orchestra gave a at the Yun I Sang Concert Hall on February 17 in celebration of February 16, the birthday of leader Kim Jong Il. The performers presented colorful numbers including female sopranos "Wellbeing of the Dear Leader Is Our Happiness." Indeed, there are only two dozen uses of the term "Dear Leader" in the KCNA english archive. There are, however, over 300 references to the "great leader Kim Jong Il" in the archive. And a search of the KCNA archives reveals a number citations of "leader Kim Jong Il" dating back to 1997. Indeed, the "Great Leader Kim Il Sung, Dear Leader Kim Jong Il" construct appears to be largely an artifact of the period prior to the death of Kim Il Sung. While the KCNA English archive has of 10,000 mentions of Kim Il Sung, there are only slightly more than 100 mentions of "Great Leader Kim Il Sung." (emphasis RF)
***

It makes perfect sense to me that in a political system and ideology that put such a high emphasis on the person of its leader (called the brain of the socio-political body etc. etc.), the title cannot remain the same if a significant change in status happens, as was the case after 1994/1997.

By the way,  some of you might not be aware that KCNA has updated its Rodong Sinmun archives (in Korean). The major articles, about 10 per day, are now available from Jan. 01, 1998 until present time (used to be only starting Nov. 2002). Unfortunately, only the English archive is searchable, thanks to the efforts of the author of http://www.nk-news.net/search.php

I vaguely remember having visited a Korean language site with searcheable Rodong Sinmun archives; does anybody on this list have an URL? That would be great.

All the best,

Ruediger Frank

am Mittwoch, 04. Oktober 2006 um 21:50 schrieben Sie: