[KS] Spaces of Korean phrases in Library catalog

Kirk Larsen kwlarsen at gwu.edu
Mon Apr 9 14:35:15 EDT 2007

Hello all,

My two bits on Frank's query:

In my teaching (PowerPoint slides, lecture notes, lecture terms etc.) I am
only now beginning to move to a practice of listing both the Mc-R (my
default system) and the SK Romanization for key terms, names etc. This is
not least because Wikipedia generally seems to prefer using the SK system
and, like it or not, the students all seem to consult Wikipedia. No sense in
unnecessarily confusing them.

However, in actual publications, whether scholarly or policy oriented, I
still use Mc-R.

I agree that the practice of many publications to use both systems (or
neither) is undesirable and confusing, particularly for the neophyte or the
non-speaker of Korean.

Cheers,

Kirk W. Larsen

Korea Foundation Associate Professor of