[KS] Spaces of Korean phrases in Library catalog

Dr. Edward D. Rockstein ed4linda at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 30 18:37:53 EDT 2007

I would suggest that before commenting on this question that interested parties view Mr. Yi's powerpoint brief   before commenting as this issue is part of a larger complex of issues and one's view might be different given the broader aspects of the questions involved.  For example, should ROK orthographic practices trump DPRK orthographic practices?  Not to mention the problems of the inadequacies of the Microsoft Korean IME's codings and MARC codings,  etc.?  I think that ALL the related questions need to be on the table before a data harvest on any single issue in isolation.  This is just one individual's view.

Ed Rockstein

Hyokyoung Yi <hkyi at u.washington.edu> wrote: Dear Korean scholars,

I'm a Korean studies librarian at the University of Washington.  I'd like to
hear your comments and feedbacks from you on a topic, which is about the
upcoming change in the practice of transcribing Korean non-roman characters
in the library catalogs.

Some US libraries have followed the rule of keeping space in Korean
characters based on the rule of MR Romanization word division.   (e.g.
중국그리고 조선족)

Other libraries used the rule of keeping all Korean characters without any
space. (e.g.  중국그리고조선족)

With the merge of two systems in library catalogs, librarians are pressured
to quickly come up with an ideal solution in this matter.  The solution
could be something other than these two current practices (e.g. Follow
Korean word division rule, or use spaces based on physical book's
description).  There are many pros and cons in both ways and there are many
technical issues involved to consider for the final decision making.

Nonetheless, I'd still appreciate if you could share your comments from the
perspective of USERS on which way you would prefer to see Korean language
materials' display in your library catalog either with space or no space or
something else.

Hyokyoung Yi
Korean Studies Librarian
East Asia Library
Gowen 336 Box 353527
University of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195-3527
Tel. 206-543-6603
Fax 206-221-5298

                          Dr. Edward D. Rockstein
Korean Language Instructor
Language Learning Center (LLC)
891 Elkridge Landing Road, Rm 301
Linthicum Heights, MD 21090
Office 410-859-5672
  Fax 410-859-5737
ed4linda at yahoo.com

  "Without Freedom of Thought, there can be no such Thing as Wisdom; and no such Thing as publick Liberty, without Freedom of Speech." Benjamin Franklin