[KS] FRANK_baektueso hannakkaji

Dr. Edward D. Rockstein ed4linda at yahoo.com
Fri May 25 07:14:35 EDT 2007

My 1950 edition of the Gugeo Dae-sajeon indicates that the reading Halla-san is a sound change from Hanna-san which supports Otfried Cheong's view.

  Ed Rockstein

Otfried Cheong <otfried at airpost.net> wrote:
  Ruediger Frank wrote:
> THANK YOU! At least one. Indeed, that was what I was talking about.
> I meant the spelling in HANGEUL. The NKs write: han-na-san. No
> kidding. Check your nearest NK dictionary.So, what is the solution?

Samuel Martin's "A reference grammar of Korean" has a discussion of the
spelling of initial L and N in Hangul in the various spellings of both
the South and the North (Section 1.6, page 15). Generally speaking, SK
follows the pronounciation, whileas NK tries to follows the "basic
and/or historical shape of the morpheme". But it's a complicated
topic, Martin lists plenty of special cases and exceptions to the rules.

My guess is that the historical spelling of NA/RA in Halla is NA, and NK
spelling retains this in spite of the pronounciation.

The Chinese character for NA/LA in Halla (Unicode U+62cf, see
http://www.unicode.org/cgi-bin/GetUnihanData.pl?codepoint=62CF&useutf8=true)
is actually extremely rare - there is not a single occurrence in my
electronic Korean dictionary, it seems to be only used in Korean for
place names, and even in Chinese it seems to be uncommon.
The Empas Hanja dictionary lists not a single use
(http://handic.empas.com/dicsearch/view.html?i=721&o=1).

Some evidence for the historical shape NA is the current Cantonese
pronounciation (Cantonese is generally a good indicator for historical
Korean pronounciations).

Best wishes,
Otfried

                          Dr. Edward D. Rockstein
Korean Language Instructor
Language Learning Center (LLC)
891 Elkridge Landing Road, Rm 301
Linthicum Heights, MD 21090
Office 410-859-5672
  Fax 410-859-5737
ed4linda at yahoo.com

  "Without Freedom of Thought, there can be no such Thing as Wisdom; and no such Thing as publick Liberty, without Freedom of Speech." Benjamin Franklin