[KS] FRANK_baektueso hannakkaji

Joshua Margolis josh at joshuamargolis.com
Fri May 25 22:06:52 EDT 2007

I believe that section is referring to a somewhat different phenomenon.
There, Martin is talking about retaining the 'l' or 'n' at the beginning of
a morpheme in NK spelling where SK spelling drops it (since it's not
pronounced).

I think what Ruediger is asking about in the case of Halla is more akin to
examples like konnan/konlan (difficulty). This is discussed briefly in
Martin's book, as well, on pages 40~41. Seems that the pronunciation of 'nn'
has changed to 'll' in certain words and the SK spelling changed to account
for this (by changing the initial letter of the second morpheme from 'n to
'l' even though such form doesn't actually exist in isolation) whereas the
NK spelling more accurately reflects the underlying morphology.