[KS] Name used for "god" in Korean language

sung oak sungoak at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 27 18:45:22 EDT 2008

Hi, Erich,

For Q 1, 2,& 3, see Sung-Deuk Oak, “North American Missionaries’ Understanding of the Tan’gun and Kija Myths of Korea, 1884-1934,” Acta Koreana 5 (January 2002): 53-76.
Q.4 "Hanu^nim" is used in North Korea and by Catholics and some (liberal) Protestants in South Korea; "Hananim" by most (evangelical) Protestants in South Korea. In all the Protestant versions of the Scriptures in South Korea, except the Union Version (between RC and P), the latter (Hananim) is the authorized and normative term. The Union Version (Seoul Edition), which used "Hanu^nim", was adopted by the North Korean Bible, so-called the Pyongyang Edition of the Union Version. Q5. Korean terms for "god" have many variations due to Chinese terms; "shin" (shen in Chinese) has been a general option for "god" or "spirit" or "ghost" (cf. evil spirits = qwishin) KIS is a "shin" in NK, but not "Hanu^nim."

Sung-Deuk Oak
UCLA
Dongsoon Im and Mija Im Scholar
Assistant Professor of Korean Christianity