[KS] Teaching English in Korea

Amanda biodb8er2 at yahoo.com
Tue May 6 23:55:55 EDT 2008

I am actually not involved in Korean studies at all.  I'm an English teacher in Korea and find this list interesting.

My advice would be that the student do his (her?) research VERY CAREFULLY.  Korea has a very bad reputation in the ESL community, and based on my experience, it's well deserved.

(I am a certified elementary educator with a master's degree in education.  The experiences I've had in South Korea have made me a better person, but I wouldn't wish them on my worst enemy.)

I would strongly suggest the person go public school rather than hogwon.  There are bad public schools, but in general, they're better run and less likely to steal your money or get you evicted than hogwons.

A site to check out for more advice would be eslcafe.com.  They have specific Korea forums that are full of advice, scattered amongst complaints.

Amanda

Suzy Kim <suzyk at hotmail.com> wrote:    .hmmessage P { margin:0px; padding:0px } body.hmmessage { FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma }   I have a student who is interested in teaching English in Korea.
Do folks on this list have recommendations on which programs would be worth looking into?

Thank you!