[KS] Romanization

Kirk Larsen kwlarsen67 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 15:13:44 EDT 2009

I think that the benefits (in terms of precision, readability, consistency
etc.) of adjustments to or improvements of the official ROK system of
romanization need to be weighed against the inevitable confusion that will
be brought about by switching to yet another system of romanization. My
non-Korean speaking students (who I take to be fairly representative of any
foreigner who wishes to learn more about Korea) already find it very
frustrating and difficult to navigate between (slightly) older written
literature that uses Mc-R and more recent material (Wikipedia, anyone?) that
uses the new system. Perhaps the current system, like the QWERTY keyboard
configuration, should be kept simply because it has been in use for more
than a decade (and is rapidly becoming the standard in much of
Korea-generated online media) and the costs of changing outweigh the
benefits? This is to say nothing of the fact that should the ROK and the
DPRK (or a future confederation/union of the two) ever decide on a common
system of romanization we will have to change yet again!
Cheers,

Kirk Larsen

--
Kirk W. Larsen