[KS] South Korea's Rollback of Democratic Rights

J.Scott Burgeson jsburgeson at yahoo.com
Wed May 6 00:25:53 EDT 2009

The problem with these kinds of incidents is that sometimes the groups involved are so thoroughly unscrupulous themselves that one has little if any sympathy for them, and must at least be very skeptical about the true nature of the incident being reported on.

Note that the Hani fails to mention that these same individuals attacking "violent crackdowns" by the police and calling for a "guarantee (of) the freedom to assemble and demonstrate" had physically hijacked the stage of the Hi Seoul Festival at City Hall on the previous Saturday night, forcing its sudden closure by the organizers. Later they were filmed hurling bricks at the police in Myong-dong and clubbing riot police (i.e., hapless young military conscripts) with metal poles. I'm not quite sure what's so "peaceful" about that. As for "ordinary bystanders" allegedly being hauled in by the police in Myong-dong, I'm pretty sure the police made repeated announcements to clear the area before moving in to stop what was clearly a violent assembly. Did they think the police were just having a laugh and did not mean what they said?

I'm all for free speech and the right to assembly, and am a progressive myself, but after watching these groups up close myself for the past year, I find it hard to take anything these folks say seriously, given their repeated willingness to lie and distort in the interest of promoting their own agenda. Indeed, the Hani itself interviewed me last year during the mad-cow protests, and then thoroughly made up a fake quote and attributed it to me in the interest of inflaming anti-American sentiment among its readers. It so happened that I had recorded the interview myself, and yet when confronted with this evidence, the Hani refused to make an apology or provide a requested retraction. As a somewhat well-known writer in Korea, I do not appreciate having false quotes attributed to me that damage my public reputation here, but the Hani simply did not care.

In such cases, one's claims to moral righteousness ring rather hollow when one is so obviously unrighteous one's self. In any case, there are always at least two sides to any story, and Hani's version below is only one side (i.e., their standard m.o. of reportage). I suggest further research and investigation before drawing any final conclusions.

--J. Scott Burgeson