[KS] A couple of inquiries re Korean literature

Werner Sasse werner_sasse at hotmail.com
Sun May 24 03:15:05 EDT 2009

Difficult to decide without context. In case it is part of a Ho like Soswae-Ong, then I would say "Old Man Soswae"

Werner Sasse

Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 21:49:17 -0700
From: yeajones at gmail.com
To: koreanstudies at koreaweb.ws
Subject: [KS] A couple of inquiries re Korean literature

Dear All,

Greetings. I've been following various discussions with interest and I have a couple of questions regarding translation of a Korean word and publishing Korean translation.

First, the word in question is: 옹(翁), a term of respect for an elderly gentleman, which seems to be too cumbersome in English, I've thought variously about the Elder, the Old Master, etc, but none of them seem to work. If any of you could suggest a possible translation, I'd very much appreciate it.

Second, if you could suggest Korean studies journals that publish translation of Korean literary works, that'd be most helpful.

Thank you so much in advance.

Regards,

YJones