[KS] War of Scripts/Battle of Scripts -- Fog of Script : Red Crescent Society, 적신월사,etc.

kc Kim kc.kim2 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 00:34:39 EST 2010

Hi,

Following the thread of "Afanasii - or is it Aleksey?" I could not
help but find some parallels in the East in the confusion created
by what  is a byproduct of a "conflicting scripts" in the West.

In the thread, who/what is referred to is uniquely identifiable as a
specific individual, the one grandfather of Mr. George Dorian and
once confidant? of Queen Min.  Still, there seems to be no end to
the variations in the ways he is referenced scriptally, with the attending
problem in identifying and locating him in the scriptal records of various
national languages where he is mentioned and recorded.

Thus Aidan's always apropos word to the wise: "Just remember to
check all spellings and google all possible variants."
While this is a perfectly wise advice, I think we have all been
"surprised" to discover that there are variants beyond what we
thought were "ALL POSSIBLE VARIANTS."

I suspect that the missing/lost grandfather puzzle will with the
concerted effort of the Koreanist community will definitely be resolved.

We are all wont to speak of "Chinese character cultural sphere(CCCS)." Yet,
when we look at the various national manifestations in this CCCS,
we seem to be facing a fog of scripts that rivals any found in the West,
as presented by German, Russian, and English scriptal confusion.

Can some member in the list enlighten us on what I just about every year
hear of: that is, the attempt to "unify" the Chinese character in use in
CCCS?  How far has this effort progressed?  Any good pointers?  Who or
what institution is leading such effort in each of the countries of CCCS?

It is probably a stretch to say that this is the other side of the coin of
romanization.  Still, it strikes me as very closely related issue.

Please find below my googling result for "The Red Crescent Society."
Perhaps some effort to stand-out and be different is observable,
Others may see similarity where others only see differences.
Anyway, below are the many and varied scriptal representation
of "The Red Crescent Society"

红新月会 China
赤新月社 Japan
紅新月會  China
적신월사  Korea
The Red Crescent Xã hội Vietnames
Die Gesellschaft des Roten Halbmonds
De Rode Halve Maan Dutch
Røde Halvmåne Danish
Röda halvmånen Swedish
Die Red Crescent Society  Afrikaans
Gjysmëhëna e Kuqe Shoqëria Albanian
Общество Красного Полумесяца Russian
Червения полумесец Общество Bulgarian
Таварыства Чырвонага Паўмесяца Belarus
На Црвената полумесечина Друштво Macedonian
Crveni polumjesec društva  Croatian
Црвени полумјесец Друштво Serbian
Červeného polmesiaca Slovak
A Vörös Félhold Társaság Hungarian
Punainen Puolikuun Finnish
La Sociedad de la Media Luna Roja Spanish
La Societat de la Mitja Lluna Roja  Catalan
La Mezzaluna Rossa  Italian
रेड क्रीसेंट सोसाइटी  Hindi
Le Croissant-Rouge French
Ang Red Crescent Society Filipino