[KS] Question about Korean national terms

Tobias Lehmann Tobias53 at gmx.de
Fri Oct 8 01:20:14 EDT 2010

Dear all,

I have a question regarding certain terms of nation in Korea:

Though increasingly studying the subject of nationhood in Korean society I get confused about the meaning of nation and race in Korean language: I thought for a while that the term minjok(민족) means only nation while injong(인종) takes the meaning of race and jongjok(종족) the meaning of a tribe  but I observed that occasionally Koreans also use (or misuse) minjok for race or ethnie which may have a certain negative connotation and might attach the emotions of Korean people easier while the term injong might be rather neutrally used for race according to the meaning of the two Chinese characters 인 and 종. There exists also the term gukmin(국민) which may have the combined meaning of state and people but is also often translated as nation, esp. nation state is translated as 국민국가. Can someone enlighten me? Thank you in advance.

Tobias Lehmann
--
Tobias Lehmann, M.A.

South Korea