[KS] How to read Hangeul on Mac

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreaweb.ws
Sat Dec 3 05:16:40 EST 2011

Michael, please ignore the private message I sent you before
(suggestions there might not help).

>Could someone please tell me how I can view Hangeul in KS Digest on
>a Mac (0S10.5). In Mac Mail or Gmail they always come out as
>question marks ???? no matter whether I use Korean encoding  EUC,
>ISO or DOS or any other encoding that I have tried.

Here an explanation, but not a solution. If you do not have this ???
problem, save yourself the time to read on :)

Since I never used "digest mode" I did not see that problem but found
the following posting from spring 2010:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2010-March/069050.html

The person replying there is one of the main developers for Mailman.
Not sure if the suggested technical fix in there would solve the
problem you describe. But please also see what Mr. Sapiro says there
about the side effects. I fear that fixing this one problem will
cause other, possibly more severe problems. If that were not the
case, then the "Mailman" listserv software that was released a few
months after that reply by Sapiro, which we use, would have already
implemented such a fix. So, it seems to be a known bug without a fix.

No alternatives right now, other than (a) changing to standard
subscription mode, (b) reading messages at the "Archives"
(http://koreaweb.ws/pipermail/koreanstudies_koreaweb.ws/), or in (c)
FORUM style (http://koreaweb.ws/ksl/).

I should add that--and I just recently checked exactly
this--"Mailman" seems still to be the top choice for academic mailing
lists like this one. There certainly are other solutions for other
needs (e.g. for commercial product info systems, customer relations
lists, etc.) but all of those do have other problems when it comes to
the needs we have (I did check that out two three months ago, exactly
because of various problems with Mailman that the developers never
fixed).

It seems that version 3 of Mailman will provide a fix of the problem:
http://wiki.list.org/display/DEV/Mailman+3.0
Look under the header "Internationalization."

Basically it means that because of "historic" reasons--Mailman has
been around for maybe 20 years--there are still lots of non-Unicode
parts in the various scripting parts within Mailman. Those seem to
sometimes create problems with Unicode. In any newly developed script
that would have been written from scratch, that would certainly not
be the case.

If anyone should be aware of a better solution that Mailman, send me
(or the list owners) a private message.

Best,
Frank