[KS] Request to the Members

Dr. Edward D. Rockstein ed4linda at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 28 15:47:06 EST 2011

The quote is an incomplete excerpt from the Neo-Confucianist, Chu Hsi. It is a sort of a didactic carpe diem. [Time is flying waste not your opportunities to study![The full text of the poem reads:

少年 易老學難成
一寸光陰不可輕.
未覺池塘春草夢
階前梧葉已秋聲.

This is a translation in English and Korean  found on the web:

It is easy for a boy to grow old. It is difficult for knowledge to be attained.
You should be careful not to waste even the least time uselessly.
Not awaking yet from the warm spring dream near the pond,
the paulownia tree before the stone steps now makes a sound of autumn.

I'd render it something like the following:

Youth ages with ease; learning is difficult to attain.
One can't make light of the smallest bit of time.
Not awakening from dreams of a grassy spring pond,
Paulownia leaves before the steps make an autumn rustling.

Dr. Edward D. Rockstein

ed4linda at yahoo.com

”I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration ” — Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear