[KS] TOOL: "Image Recognition Search"

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreaweb.ws
Sun Nov 27 14:43:25 EST 2011

Dear All:

The following is not specific to Korea. But it is such an interesting
new tool that I feel many here might be interested.

Google introduced this summer an "Image Recognition Search" tool.
Basically, and in short, if you have an image, let's say a painting,
and do not know the painter, or if you have a painting and suspect it
was done after another art work, or is a copy, or just try to locate
similar works, then this is certainly a technical tool that helps.

http://images.google.com

FOR EXAMPLE, last Tuesday I included the following URL to a Korean
art work from 1934 in one of my postings to the list:
http://hoam.samsungfoundation.org/exhibition/lee/view/pop/images/2_01.jpg
Let's say you have the image but do not know who the artist is, then
you could enter that above URL into the SEARCH window at
http://images.google.com or you could upload such an image from your
PC's desktop to that SEARCH window, choose "search by image," and
then get a list of the the same and/or similar images, go to the
websites they are on, and hopefully get the info you are looking for.
Cute, isn't it?

Best,
Frank