[KS] English material on Korean Political Thought

Tobias Lehmann Tobias53 at gmx.de
Sun Nov 27 21:54:31 EST 2011

I'm not sure whether there is any class in English at the moment but there is indeed some material on Korean political thought in English, for example:

1) Lee Seung-hwan. A Topography of Confucian Discourse: Politico-philosophical Reflections on Confucian Discourse since Modernity. Paramus, NJ: Homa and Sekey, 2006.

2) C. Fred Alford. Think No evil. Korean Values in the Age of Globalization. Cornell University Press.

3) Hahm Pyong-choon. Korean Political Tradition and Law. RAS-KB, 1971. (pretty old but many things are still somewhat valid, deserves to be a classic book on Korean thought)

4) Lee Kwan-Sae. East and West. Fusion of Horizons. Paramus, NJ: Homa and Sekey, 2006.

5) Han Sang-Jin (ed.), Habermas and the Korean debate. Seoul National University press, 1998.

6) Daniel E. Bell/ Hahm Chaibong (eds.),Confucianism for the Modern World. Cambridge, 2003.

7) Various articles by Prof. Kang Jung In (in the Korea journal for example.)

In German some books by Prof. Song Du-Yul may certainly fall into the category of political thought.

Most of the books which are mentioned here and published in English are books comparing Korean political theory with the West or in some cases with China or Japan.

If you need more information, contact me directly.

Best of luck,

Tobias.

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

--
Tobias Lehmann, M.A.

Department of German Language and Literature
College of Humanities and Social Sciences
Kongju National University

182 Shingwan-dong, Gongju, Chungnam, 314-701 Korea

Office: 041-850 8398 (from abroad +82-41-850 8398)
Mobile: 010-6873-1957