[KS] Koreanstudies Digest, Vol 108, Issue 6

Jan Creutzenberg jan.creutzenberg at fu-berlin.de
Wed Jun 6 10:35:03 EDT 2012

Dear Raoul,

the Korean Literature Translation Institute (KLTO) offers a one-year
(non-degree-, although you get a certificate) program that focuses on
literary translation. When I attended "translation academy", classes
included an two literary translation classes (one on a short novel,
one on weekly excerpts from various works), one "cultural"
translation class (popular science-texts on Korean culture such as
palaces, p'ansori etc.), a literary studies class (in Korean), a
lecture series by different scholars and Korean language classes --
each about 2-3 hours per week. There were also a lot of activities
such as readings by Korean authors or excursions.

The translation classes are divided by language (English, German,
French, Russian & Spanish) and are taught by teachers from different
universities, many of them from Hanguk Univ. of Foreign Studies.
These are generally quite intensive classes with lots of
(translation-)homework and small groups of students (the German
division had only five students). You can apply for a scholarship of
1,600,00 won monthly plus flights.

See KLTO's homepage for details: http://www.klti.or.kr/
ku_03_04_011.do (Korean), http://eng.klti.or.kr/ke_02_04_011.do
(English)

The program is a great way to get a lot of translation practice and
meet people. As many published translation are sponsored by the KLTO,
getting in touch with the organisation this way might also prove
helpful.

Hope this helps! Best regards, Jan
---

Jan Creutzenberg

Yeongjin Apartment, No 312
Seogyo-dong 485-14, Mapo-gu
Seoul, Republic of Korea

서울시 마포구 서교동 485-14 영진 Apt. 312호

Email: jan.creutzenberg at fu-berlin.de
Mobile: +82 (0)10-8952-4089
Jeonju Int'l Sori Festival: blog.sorifestival.com
Private research blog: seoulstages.wordpress.com