[KS] Samguk Yusa readership during Joseon

Sun Joo Kim sunjookim1 at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 11 21:08:09 EDT 2012

Dear Gari,
I think you've raised an important question.

I called my colleague in Korea who used to work at the Kyujanggak as a researcher and now teaches at the SNU. He told me that there are at least three groups of collections currently at the Kyujanggak. One inherited from the Choson Dynasty; one from the colonial period; and the last after 1945. Call number for the first group in general begins with "kyu 奎." The second group in general begins with "ko 古." The Dewey decimal system is used for the third group.

The call number of Kyujanggak's Samguk yusa begins with "ko" and, thus, this book was added to the Kyujanggak during the colonial period, according to my informant.

In regard to Andrew Logie's original question, my colleague also mentioned that some Kyujanggak collection catalogues from late Choson are available. For example,  a list of books were made when the books were periodically taken out of the library and aired for preservation. How many of such lists and from what year are available? I do not know.

Kyujanggak published _규장각소장왕실자료목록_ in 2003, and this book might be a help.

Best wishes,
Sun Joo