[KS] book search for teaching

Nayoung Aimee Kwon naimeekwon at gmail.com
Thu Dec 12 17:42:54 EST 2013

Hi Mike,
Sounds like a fascinating course. For short stories related to the Korean
War, Pak Wanso's stories such as  "In the Realm of the Buddha" in *The Red
Room* quoted above; and those in *My Very Last Possession and Other Stories
*work well in class*; *It might be interesting to compare Hwang Sok Young's
works on the Korean and Vietnam Wars: *The Guest *with *The Shadow of
Arms, *for example, although these are long novels.  Other recommended
works about the Vietnam War are Le Minh Khue's *The Stars, the Earth, the
River* and Bao Ninh's *The Sorrow of War: A Novel of North Vietnam*. How
about films? Relating Korean, U.S. and Vietnamese filmic representations of
the Vietnam War would be interesting. Korean films such as *White Badge*and
*Sunny* (님은 먼곳에) come to mind... From Hollywood, there are so many,
but *Apocalypse
Now* and *Deer Hunter* are classics that still work well in class. You
could do something similar with films and literature about the Korean war.

Best,
Aimee

--
Nayoung Aimee Kwon