[KS] Archaic rice-related words

Mark Russell mrussell at pobox.com
Tue Jan 22 11:57:27 EST 2013

Dear all:

I am doing some food-related writing at the moment and am very interested in learning about old and archaic terms for rice. Preferably from before Joseon times.

Any and all rice-related words would be very useful: 모, 벼, 쌀, 빱, etc.

Archaic foods would also be most interesting.

If anyone knows of any papers or books on this subject, I would appreciate the help very much. (I don't think Michael Pettid's Korean Cuisine, while talking about Korea's food history, actually mentions the old words).

Sincerely,
- Mark