[KS] Beginning of dog-meat consumption

Youngsook Pak yp at soas.ac.uk
Thu May 16 17:01:34 EDT 2013

Dear Julien,

The earliest evident of consuming dog as meat can be seen in a Koguryo wall
painting, Anak No. 3 (dated 357). Next to the kitchen a meat store is
depicted where several animals are hanging from large hooks. Whenever I
teach Koguryo tomb paintings in my art history course, I show this
illustration and explain that in ancient times dog was regarded more like
other meat (cow, pig and sheep etc.)

Professor Whitfield adds that in the tomb of Emperor Jing, the third
emperor of the Han dynasty (reigned 156-139 BC), thousands of pottery
figurines of animals intended for the Emperor's consumption in the
afterlife were found in the eighty-one trenches radiating from the tomb.
They included dogs as well as cattle, sheep, pigs and so on. I shall give a
detailed discussion in my forthcoming article on Korea and Silk Road in *Silk
Road Journal* (Seattle Washington University).

Best wishes for your research.

Youngsook Pak