[KS] Fwd: Question regarding the French-translation of Chunhyang

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreanstudies.com
Tue Nov 5 10:01:23 EST 2013

Interesting posting, Brother Anthony. That other booklet by Rosmy you
mention, _Les Coréens_, with its big print, seems to have had a wide
circulation ... have seen it more often in European libraries and used
book stores than any other pre-1945 book on Korea.

You identify the translator as Hong Chong-u, who worked at the Guimet
Museum (wonderful collection on Korea!), and who later assassinated Kim
Ok-kyun. I just wanted to add that there are a couple of other Koreans
(but Hong must have been the first) who worked at European and American
museums, mostly in ethnological museums. It will be a worthwhile
project for any interested historian to follow such traces, I think. As
the Hong Chong-u case shows, the slave work these Koreans did in
"assisting" those Western researchers of the late 19th and earlier 20th
century is in many cases by far not all they did. So, again thanks for
bringing that up.

Anyway, the writing "Tjyoung Ou" you mention below, for Hong Chong-u 홍
종우, that reminds me of a person I am trying to identify. Maybe you or
someone else here knows who this is, or has a suggestion of how to
write the name in Han'gŭl (the combinations I tried did not get me
anywhere):

Chul Ow
He was a student (maybe just German language, maybe some other field)
in the northern German city of Hannover in the early 1910s (until at
least 1914, maybe longer).

Best wishes,
Frank