[KS] Roman Catholic Troubles in the North

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreanstudies.com
Tue Oct 22 14:26:07 EDT 2013

Dear All:

This is an add-on note to the early September thread that related to
Father Joseph Wilhelm (alias Hong Sŏk-ku 洪錫九, 1860-1938), a
missionary of the Paris based French Société des Missions Étrangè
res, and the most successful missionary (when it coms to the the number
of converts) in Korea in the decades before and after 1900--also well
known as the family missionary of the An Chung-gŭn family, his father,
and the wider family.

There were a couple of very recent publications, good ones to be sure,
like those by Franklin Rausch, putting Father Wilhelm in a wider
historic context that go far beyond biographic issues of the man
himself. The little footnote I wanted to add here is just this one:

When Brother Anthony made the below quoted note in early September I
replied on more or less *circumstantial* evidence, saying that
nationality makes little sense for Wilhelm, because he comes from
Elsass-Lothringen (in French Alsace-Lorraine), an area where people
understand their identity more in a local than a national sense, as the
area went back and forth between Germany and France, most people are
perfectly bilingual, etc. But now I have a whole bunch of (unpublished)
documents from 1914 and 1915 from the War Ministry -- NOT directly
about Father Wilhelm, but some by him and some related to him. And now
I can say with great confidence that (a) he was a German citizen
(whatever that is good for, given he was from Alsace-Lorraine), (c)
that his family members were fighting on the German side in WW I, (c)
that he and his family was considered to be "politisch durchaus
zuverlässig" (politically quite reliable; 07/01/1915, county director)
by the German authorities during the war.

As I said, it is just a footnote: but still, it is of some importance
when looking at the wider picture of the relationship (a) between
Wilhelm and his own French order, and (b) the relationship of Catholic
missionary churches in Korea and Korean independence movement
activities of the 1900s to 1940s, where--as far as I see it now--the
French order was very concerned about staying non-political, while the
German Benedictines that Wilhelm over the years really worked with
after 1909 or 1910, completely ignoring his official affiliation, was
(to me at least) amazingly "intuitive" in finding ways to help the
independence movement, and Wilhelm was one of the most inventive and he
did not ever seem to have cared about authorities, other than his own ;)

BELOW is a snippet from a letter by Archabbot Nobert Weber (St.
Ottilien) of September 9, 1914, clarifying to the Royal Ministry of War
that Wilhelm is a citizen of the German Reich.