[KS] Japan-Korea, France-Algeria: Colonialism and Post-Colonialism

Balazs Szalontai aoverl at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Oct 22 23:23:02 EDT 2013

Dear Professor Babicz,

thanks a lot for sending us your illuminative article! I certainly agree with the view that the French-Algerian relationship was one of the closest analogy to the colonial and post-colonial Japanese-Korean relationship. The specific elements of similarity, as highlighted by the article, were well selected, all the more so because they help to explain why the trauma of the colonial past still affects Japanese-Korean and French-Algerian relations. For instance, the factors of geographical closeness and persistent economic interdependence clearly distinguish these two cases from, say, the relationship between Britain and Burma, which had been extremely traumatic for the Burmese in the colonial era but became fairly cordial by the 1970s. Still, I am inclined to think that the article might have devoted more attention to a few major differences between the two cases:

(1) The relative significance of the metropolitan language in the post-colonial countries. In colonial Algeria, French became so prominent in educated circles that even some of the nationalist FLN leaders, most notably Ahmed Ben Bella, found it easier to speak French than standard Arabic. In independent Algeria, the governments made great efforts to implement Arabization in the field of education, culture, and administration, but a good command of French is still more or less a sine qua non for those Algerians who seek to obtain a highly qualified position. Resentment against the underprivileged position of non-francophones was often intertwined with social and political protest, as one could observe in the emergence of FIS. Despite the Japanese policy of naisen ittai, Japanese language did not acquire such prominence in Korea, either in the Korean nationalist movement or in post-colonial society. The time factor, which is correctly emphasized by the
 author, must have played an important role in this difference.

(2) The existence of two competing Korean national governments greatly complicated Japan's relations with post-colonial Korea, and so did the post-1952 territorial dispute. These problems had no analogies in French-Algerian relations. Specifically, I am inclined to disagree with the following statement: "Incidents directly involving Japan – such as the capture of fishing boats that entered Korean waters – aroused only indifference among the general public. This disinterest helps explain why the conversations toward a normalisation of relations, which opened in 1951, concluded only in 1965." Actually, Japanese-South Korean talks started as early as 1948-50, at which time Syngman Rhee visited Japan twice, but the issue of the "Rhee line" created a new and definitely serious obstacle. It was far more because of these conflicts than because of indifference that normalization was postponed until 1965.

With best regards,
Balazs Szalontai
Kwangwoon University, Seoul