[KS] "The Origins of the Korean Alphabet"

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreanstudies.com
Fri Sep 6 13:45:39 EDT 2013

PS .. the solution to everything ::)

I like to add that 鄭基元 also co-authored, also in 1938, a short piece
on "Arab Geographers on Korea" (_Journal of the American Oriental
Society_ 58, no. 4, Dec. 1938): 658-661.
All that taken together shows a strong interest in connecting Korea to
other regions of Asia and the Middle East, and that was quite popular
in the 1930s! Right now I have a 20-pages dissertation application from
the U of Leipzig on my desk -- fro the mid-1920s--by a Korean scholar
who had also studied Sanskrit and was studying relations between China
and India, among other issues. The total focus on "Korea only" and
Korea only within the "confinement" of the East Asian world order, I
think that came in only in the late colonial period and afterwards, as
a reaction to (a) the political world order (colonialism etc.) and (b)
because, again those bad bad Germany-Maniacs with their manipulating
studies of such issues had kind kind of stopped any research and
interest into that direction.

Anyway, here is the solution for today's quizz:
http://library.ias.edu/files/pdfs/bulletins/Bulletin11.pdf
That is a Princeton U publication from 1945 that has a list of
institute "members" -- look at page the ix:
You see KEI-WON CHUNG listed with a 1938 Princeton dissertation.
He is further indentified on page 35 (send last page): "Since February,
1943, Dr. Chung Kei-won, who has pursued his study in Far Easten
languages in the Library for several years, has been on leave of
absense for government war work, first in New York City and later in
Washington, D.C."
There is no doubt by whom this thesis is!

Frank