[KS] Koreanstudies Digest, Vol 123, Issue 14

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreanstudies.com
Sun Sep 15 20:57:25 EDT 2013

Hello Bill and others:

Just to put this into a context: the first response last month was more
than anything to the add-on posting by Ross King who was interested in
the PhD thesis. So I simply wanted to identify the author, and Marion
Eggert did the same at the same time. Retranslations of titles of
wartime or postwar military and intelligence service offices is not
something I am familiar with. But I can certainly help with Joan Baez,
Victor Jara, or The Clash song titles, if needed … multi-lingual :)
In short, you may be absolutely right.

Now to your latest points quoted below:
Here again the link given in an earlier posting:
http://db.history.go.kr/url.jsp?ID=im_109_20228
That is the biographic file of the Korean History Compilation Committee
(국사편찬위원회). Their new English name seems now to be National
Institute of Korean History, if I see that right. They have an
absolutely outstanding library, and in the past 10 or 15 years more and
more of their documents have been made available online (you can search
the DB from the above link). The "biographic files," like the one above
URL points to about the thesis author and Princeton PhD holder exist
about a huge number of Koreans who have *ever* been mentioned more than
once in any sort of historical documents. These short bios by no means
perfect, especially if we come to non-Korean names or the English
rendering of Korean names overseas (such as "Chung Kei-won"), but they
get better every year. For any sort of historical research this is a
great starting point! These short bios are based on the documents that
the same DB provides the originals or text versions for. You will find
all kinds of errors in there. Mostly, however, those errors are based
on errors in the historic documents themselves (such as dates, wrong
Chinese characters, wrong family relationships, or wrong office
titles). Still, because the bios are based on documents they are
relatively reliable. As pointed out earlier, our "Chung Kei-won," that
is Chŏng Ki-wŏn, was after 1945 active as a politician in and for Pusan
(see http://ko.wikipedia.org/wiki/정기원), and so there are all kind of
official documents with his vita available. I suggest to check out the
Korean National Assembly Library (http://www.nanet.go.kr/), another
outstanding library for any sort of research on modern and contemporary
Korean history. That first mentioned vita (first here listed link)
lists Chŏng's offices in a *rough* chronological order, but also in
order of different kind of occupations. The here discussed office comes
right on top, and in that context suggest that suggests to me that it
is during World War II. But yes … I agree, to be really sure you will
need to do a little more research. Given his post-war offices in Korea
it should not be difficult to get some sort of official vita somewhere.

Best regards,
Frank