[KS] Pyongyang Univ of Science & Tech (PUST) on BBC1 TV, Mon 3 Feb, 2030 ...

Afostercarter at aol.com Afostercarter at aol.com
Fri Feb 7 02:20:42 EST 2014

Sorry for a small typo in my last post. A corrected  version is below.

Gianluca raises some important questions here. Two  thoughts:

1. Military. What exactly is the evidence for the  KPA's alleged role in
PUST?
If they built it, that would be no surprise; they build many  things.
If generals send their sons there, no surprise either; indeed  the
Panorama programme said as much.

But if they in any sense run it, that is another question. Or  to be
precise,
is it being claimed that the DPRK counterparts with  whom PUST must
liaise are military, rather than Party or  the education ministry?
Does PUST itself have any statement on this?

2. Syllabus. I would put it a bit differently. On the  sciences side, I do
wonder what exactly PUST is adding, given that the DPRK's  own
universities are heavily science and technology-oriented  already.

What surely is distinctive, as seen in the programme, is the  business
major. As I understand, this is North Korea's first MBA. And  as we saw,
you can't begin to teach in those areas without raising and  confronting
 matters well beyond the scope of  official DPRK discourse.

Finally, we know of old that under totalitarianism people live  a double
life, and are very skilled at it - including of course showing  no trace of
it.
I would be amazed if any PUST student was unaware of who is  running
their school and why. But it was rather juvenile, and a bit  irresponsible,
for Panorama to keep prodding in the hope of getting somebody  to
go off-message on camera. Of course they wouldn't do  that.

I remain a net optimist regarding PUST.

Cheers
Aidan FC

Aidan  Foster-Carter
Honorary Senior Research Fellow in  Sociology & Modern Korea,  Leeds
University,  UK
E: _afostercarter at aol.com_ (mailto:afostercarter at aol.com)
_afostercarter at yahoo.com_ (mailto:afostercarter at yahoo.com)    W: _www.aidanfc.net_
(http://www.aidanfc.net/)