[KS] Pyongyang Univ of Science & Tech (PUST) on BBC1 TV, Mon 3 Feb, 2030 ...

Ruediger Frank ruediger.frank at univie.ac.at
Sun Feb 9 12:35:24 EST 2014

I agree, Aidan. The documetary was actually quite good, in a number of (I suppose unintended) subtle ways.
Best,
Rudiger

on Freitag, 07. Februar 2014 at 08:20 you wrote:

Sorry for a small typo in my last post. A corrected version is below.

Gianluca raises some important questions here. Two thoughts:

1. Military. What exactly is the evidence for the KPA's alleged role in PUST?
If they built it, that would be no surprise; they build many things.
If generals send their sons there, no surprise either; indeed the
Panorama programme said as much.

But if they in any sense run it, that is another question. Or to be precise,
is it being claimed that the DPRK counterparts with whom PUST must
liaise are military, rather than Party or the education ministry?
Does PUST itself have any statement on this?

2. Syllabus. I would put it a bit differently. On the sciences side, I do
wonder what exactly PUST is adding, given that the DPRK's own
universities are heavily science and technology-oriented already.

What surely is distinctive, as seen in the programme, is the business
major. As I understand, this is North Korea's first MBA. And as we saw,
you can't begin to teach in those areas without raising and confronting
 matters well beyond the scope of official DPRK discourse.

Finally, we know of old that under totalitarianism people live a double
life, and are very skilled at it - including of course showing no trace of it.
I would be amazed if any PUST student was unaware of who is running
their school and why. But it was rather juvenile, and a bit irresponsible,
for Panorama to keep prodding in the hope of getting somebody to
go off-message on camera. Of course they wouldn't do that.

I remain a net optimist regarding PUST.

Cheers
Aidan FC

Aidan Foster-Carter
Honorary Senior Research Fellow in Sociology & Modern Korea, Leeds University, UK

E: afostercarter at aol.com     afostercarter at yahoo.com   W: www.aidanfc.net
Skype:  Aidan.Foster.Carter                          Twitter:  @fcaidan