[KS] Revised Romanization [system ]of Korean and U.S. university presses

Charles Muller acmuller at l.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Sun Jan 26 23:20:37 EST 2014

On 2014年01月25日 00:38, Robinson, Michael E. wrote:

> My understanding is the RR is accepted as is
> McCune-Reischauer....it's more up to the author.  More
> importantly, it's up to the author to monitor the use and
> consistency of any system used.  The Presses just don't know how
> to nor can they sometimes recognize or care about sloppy,
> unsystematic, idiosyncratic, made-up usage.

I recently made an agreement to publish a book with a major
university press. As a user of RR, I wanted to confirm in advance
that I would be able to use my manuscript as-is. I was told that as
long as I use an officially-documented system consistently and
accurately, it wouldn't matter.

This is, of course, the way it should be. I mean, when it comes to
the transcription of Sanskrit, Tibetan, and other languages, what
the publishers care most about is consistency--not adherence to any
particular system.

Regards,

Chuck

A. Charles Muller

University of Tokyo
Graduate School of Humanities and Sociology, Faculty of Letters
Center for Evolving Humanities
7-3-1 Hongō, Bunkyō-ku
Tokyo 113-8654, Japan

Office: 03-5841-3735