[KS] Han'gŭl, automated romanization

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreanstudies.com
Thu Jan 30 07:41:27 EST 2014

Hello Jay, and All:

Was the "shi" (replacing the "si") indeed introduced by that Austerlitz
group report? All I see in there is on page 112 (near bottom of page)
that "si" vs. "shi" is being discussed. But when we get to the
suggestions, starting on page 114, I do not see that. And examples on
other issues where "시" is a part of words or names, e.g. "Taegu-si" on
page 121, "shi" is not being used.

What I believe to recall is that the Korean government system (MOE) was
at given up and the "Simplified McC-R System" was adapted -- isn't it?
But that was NOT identical to the Austerlitz Workshop paper's
suggestions, or was it? What I further remember is that around 1982 the
_Korea Journal_ (and the French _Revue de Corée_, also by UNESCO)
started to have this mini transcription guide printed, under the name
"Simplified McCune-Reischauer System" -- and all that was "simplified"
in there, that was different from the 1939 (rev. 1961) original system
was "si" vs. "shi" ...  and that was nothing but the Korean government
adapted McC-R system, just that si/shi would be handled differently.

As for the Austerlitz Workshop paper, there are other things in there
that got never widely of at all accepted. The very first suggestion on
p. 114 (#1) was to replace the brève with a dot. ... So, THAT is why I
said we should forget about that "shi" alternative, since I believe it
was introduced by and used by the Korean government system only between
the early 1980s and 2000 (but that is out the window now). And e.g. the
Library of Congress does not use "shi" either (they have some
alternatives of their own) -- so it is NOT being used widely anymore.

Thanks.
Frank