[KS] Teaching on International Summer Schools in South Korea

Otfried Cheong otfried at airpost.net
Fri Jan 31 18:54:33 EST 2014

On 01/31/2014 12:46 AM, Robinson, Michael E. wrote:
> There is tremendous competition among SK universities to draw students
> into their summer schools.  They run them for a mixture of
> issues….prestige, money, etc.

University rankings give points for "globalization", such as the
percentage of foreign students.   Most Korean universities, since they
teach in Korean, have very few foreign students.  By counting the
foreign students who participate in the summer program, they improve the
number of foreign students they can report a lot.

I once asked our dean of international relations what the point was of
having a summer program where we invite faculty from overseas to teach
students from overseas, without any involvement of our own students or
faculty.  His answer was: "Everybody does it".

Otfried Cheong