[KS] Is the word "외국인" an instance of "和製漢語"?

McCann, David dmccann at fas.harvard.edu
Sun Mar 2 09:27:53 EST 2014

I was walking from the poet Sô Chôngju's house down through the alleys and over to get the bus when a young boy and girl walked toward and past me in the other direction.  They both looked at me, and she said to him, "Miguk saram?"  He announced "Aniya, yôngguk."

I've wondered what might have been that led him to that erroneous conclusion.  Maybe I'd been spending too much time talking with Midang about poetry?

David McCann

On Mar 1, 2014, at 11:24 PM, Werner Sasse <werner_sasse at hotmail.com<mailto:werner_sasse at hotmail.com>> wrote:

Hi Bob, great answer to a great thread....

Just two minor remarks:

> And it's certainly racial. Koreans, e.g., never use the word when talking about Japanese or Chinese--nor, at least when I was in Korea way > back when, did they use it for Africans or African-Americans. Unquestionably, 외국인or외국사람 meant 'a white person'. Come to think of > it, the most common word I remember from back then was 미국사람. And that word was a blanket term for 'white people' that covered > > you, Werner and Frank, or anyone else from Europe! Remember?

Well, generally this was the case, I agree, but some, after all, had a wider connotation in mind. One day, when the Rotary Club in Yeosu in the late 60ies had invited Robert Baskerville (peace corps 1 friends, remember this wonderful fellow?) and my wife and me for dinner, and I remarked that the three of us were the only foreigners in the area, one man corrected me by pointing out that there were also about 30.000 Chinese there...

And as for the equation of 외국사람 and 미국사람, even today there is this tendency. Being German, in some kind of conversations I am tempted to point out that I am not American but German, which sometimes results in a (positive prejudice) reaction: 독일미국사람 이시네...

Now, on your correct discussion of the term 國語: Many ancient Chinese texts favour “방언” as terminus for non-Chinese languages (like in 게림유사 고려방언), but in Buddhist discourse “국어” is often the equivalent word for local non-Chinese languages instead. I always think that this Buddhist usage must also be kept in mind, when one reads King Sejong's 훈민정음, where the concept is used in the conspicuous position as the first one in the introduction, which starts with “國之語音…”

Best to you
Werner