[KS] Percival Lowell

Hyung Pai hyungpai at eastasian.ucsb.edu
Fri Apr 10 18:20:56 EDT 2015

Thank you all for a lively inter-exchange. It is gratifying to know that other scholars have insights and information on this era of the dawn of American Korean studies
I sometimes feel I am the only crazy one here,  out in California.
These anecdotes are still helpful to fill in the blanks. So, Lowell was exaggerating after all of his singular status which has already been pointed out earlier.
There is in fact a candid photo of Lowell in which he photographed the English teacher at the foreign school ( he was the one with the Japanese wife and two Eurasian kids) and multi-ethnic servants household .

Hyung Il Pai
Professor, East Asian Languages and Cultural Studies
HSSB Building, University of California, Santa Barbara
CA 93106. U.S.A.
Fax: 805-893-7671
Email: hyungpai at eastasian.ucsb.edu
Dept Home-page profile: http://www.eastasian.ucsb.edu/home/faculty/hyung-il-pai/