[KS] Percival Lowell

Hyung Pai hyungpai at eastasian.ucsb.edu
Thu Apr 16 00:03:20 EDT 2015

Dear Frank
 Lowell has a detailed descriptions in his book Choson -chapter 31 on hats - about 20 pages with handrawn sketches addressing the exact question that Frank has raised such as types of hats associated with class, occupation and use. It is probably the most detailed description and classifications of Korean hats I have ever read for this early period-he probably had recognized them and compared them to others in museum collections before.
Hyung Il Pai
Professor, East Asian Languages and Cultural Studies
HSSB Building, University of California, Santa Barbara
CA 93106. U.S.A.
Fax: 805-893-7671
Email: hyungpai at eastasian.ucsb.edu
Dept Home-page profile: http://www.eastasian.ucsb.edu/home/faculty/hyung-il-pai/