[KS] Mac Users / Korean: WARNING! (Update to OS X El Capitan)

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreanstudies.com
Thu Oct 1 16:16:21 EDT 2015

Many thanks to Michael Prentice!

Finally, after Michael and I had already discussed the issue, I was
able to figure out why this did not work for me. Since this might apply
to others here, let me explain -- and summarize the remaining problems:

This is the kind of keyboard I used until now -- which is NOT working
with Michael's suggested 'Karabiner' workaround:
http://goo.gl/WMVWqa

And this is a regular small Mac keyboard:
http://goo.gl/r1zaWp

Pay attention to the two keys LEFT of the SPACE bar and you see the
difference: the "Command" and the 2nd "Alt/Option" key is missing on my
keyboard (because that's no Mac keyboard). The Karabiner program does
not seem (I did not see it, at least) to reassign the "Alt/Option" on
the right, only that on the left. So, that was the problem. I replaced
the keyboard with one that is 100% compatible to a Mac (but now creates
other problems for me when working in Windows and Linux) and Michael's
workaround (using 'Karabiner') works fine!

What problems are left?

- With the OLD Microsoft Office programs (e.g. MS Word for Mac 2011)
this workaround does NOT work; you can type Han'gŭl but get no Hanja;
so you are limited to the new MS Word 2016. The good news is: you can
open a document that was created by MS Word 2011 in MS Word 2016 in the
"compatible mode" -- and you can continue to edit that document in that
"compatible mode" but will be able to enter Hanja (using Michael's
Karabiner workaround).

- My earlier point (c) is still unresolved ... that is, that there are
unwanted, non-correctable extra spaces following numbers
  (e.g. 2015 年)

- Some other, older programs that were not updated for use in Apple's
"El Capitano Schettino" might still turn out to be unusable for Korean
input. As you see in this example, a bug report and fix for the Web
browser "Chromium," Apple did change the actual routines in the code
for Korean input, and thus this needs to be updated by programmers in
their software:
If that is not done, then even the "Karabiner" workaround will not do.
The fact that such a workaround is necessary even if that was applies
(MS Word 2016) is bad enough ... seems someone wanted to impress his
mamma but decided to take a hike half the way.

Best,
Frank