[KS] Hangul question: original graphic distinction between eo (Yale e) and arae ae (Yale oy)

John Armstrong johna318 at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 9 20:36:41 EDT 2017

Thanks, Bob, for the additional references and friendly encouragement.

I asked several US importers of Korean books and all informed me that the 1999 국립국어원 표준국어대사전 is out-of-print.  The same organization (National Institute of Korean Language in English) has recently launched their new online 우리말 샘 which is supposed to have 1,000,000 entries, double that of their earlier dictionary and probably too big to publish in printed form.  A very valuable feature of this online dictionary is that it has a fine-grained public API that allows registered users to do up to I think 25,000 lookups a day, which makes it great for certain kinds of automated lexicographic investigations.  It may have as much in the way of old forms as the 1999 dictionary.  I’ve seen a few from simple lookups; it may be necessary to special search queries to get at more than the most basic ones.

Thanks to the generous help of another KS group member I can now see the full set of readings in the Donguk Jeongun.   Since I’m mainly interested in the vowel parts of the readings and within them mostly in a few specific vowels, I think the total number of characters I’m particularly concerned with is small enough to deal with by hand.  Also now that I can see the readings of individual characters I can connect the Korean readings to the rime classes and reconstructed Middle Chinese pronunciations of the characters.

Is there a study of the Korean Sino-Xenic “reflexes” of Middle or earlier Chinese that you would recommend?  I see occasional remarks the along the lines of “the y onglide of the MC [or whatever] final was lost in Korean” but I’ve never seen a systematic set of phonological rules that specify the conventional (literary) mapping from Chinese to Korean.

-- John