[KS] CFP “Textual Materiality in Korea, Premodern to Postmodern” (special issue and pre-publication workshop)

Olga Fedorenko fed0renk0 at snu.ac.kr
Sun Jun 21 23:24:30 EDT 2020

Paper proposals are invitedfor a special issue of the /Journal of Korean
Studies,/“Textual Materiality in Korea, Premodern to Postmodern”
(October 2022), co-edited by Ksenia Chizhova (Princeton University) and
Olga Fedorenko (Seoul National University). The pre-publication paper
workshop will take place on May 19-20, 2021 at Princeton University.

“Textual Materiality in Korea, Premodern to Postmodern” special issue
seeks to ground the study of Korea, past and present, in themateriality
of writing, while refining its theorization and historicization.
Technological developments of the recent decades have prompted renewed
academic interest in inscriptional media, their innovation and
negotiation, and we aim to explore when and how the medium becomes the
message and shift the lens of critical inquiry from textual
interpretation towards the infrastructure of textual transmission and
the work of the body and the senses. Further, we wish to draw attention
to how writing as material technology is implicated in power relations,
whereby script enables language standardization, social control, and
spatial claims. Finally, we are interested in the dynamics of
remediation and intermediality: competition, symbiosis, and
border-crossing among distinct mediums.

We invite submissions that consider such theoretical problems at any
point of Korean history from scholars of media, material culture, visual
culture, literature, history, anthropology, and related fields. Moving
beyond the discussion of cosmopolitan vs. vernacular developments in the
literary culture of premodern Korea, can we identify the significance of
performative aspects of writing (writing in blood, spirit writing,
writing as self-harmful filial activity, etc)? How was writing affected
by the proliferation of new media technologies, such as printing press,
radio and television, in the context of colonial modernity and, later,
post-colonial nation-building in two Koreas? How has the spread of the
Internet and other new media technologies reconfigured textual
materialities?

Please send *paper title*, *a 500-word abstract*, *five keywords*, and
*a CV, *to Ksenia Chizhova (_kchizhova at princeton.edu
<mailto:kchizhova at princeton.edu>_) and Olga Fedorenko
(_fed0renk0 at snu.ac.kr_) under the subject heading “Textual Materiality
Abstract Submission” by *September 15, **2020*. Applicants will be
notified of the selection results in October 2020.

Travel and lodging for the pre-publication workshop participants will be
covered. In the case of continuing restrictions on mass gatherings or on
travel due to Covid-19, the pre-publication workshop may be postponed to
fall 2021 or held fully or partially online in the fall 2021, in which
case the deadlines will be adjusted.