[KS] Call for Papers, ASCJ Conference

MARK E. CAPRIO caprio at rikkyo.ac.jp
Mon Sep 14 04:05:12 EDT 2020

Call for Papers: ASCJ 2021

The Executive Committee of the Asian Studies Conference Japan (ASCJ) invites
proposals for panels, roundtables, and individual papers to be presented at
the 2021 Asian Studies Conference Japan. The conference will be held at
Sophia University in Tokyo on Saturday & Sunday, July 3 & 4.

We were forced to cancel the 2020 conference due to the COVID-19 pandemic,
and we continue to monitor health and safety conditions here in Japan.
Given the uncertainty surrounding this ongoing pandemic, we cannot
absolutely rule out a similar occurrence in the future. Nonetheless, we are
planning for an on-site meeting in 2021. We have no plans for a hybrid or
online only conference.

However, regardless of other possible schedule changes, we are pleased to
announce that we will hold our annual L.B. Grove Graduate Paper Prize
competition in 2021. (More information below).

As in past years, all presentations are to be delivered in English.
Proposals may be submitted online beginning on September 15, 2020.

The deadline for proposals is October 15. Results will be announced by late
December.

The forms are available at:
https://ascjapan.org/conference/

*Panels* are proposed by individual scholars around a common subject. A
complete panel includes up to five participants (three or four paper
presenters and one or more chair/discussants). Panel proposals should
include a 250-word (maximum) abstract from each participant as well as a
250-word (maximum) statement that explains the session as a whole. Only
complete panels will be considered for acceptance.

*Roundtables* offer an opportunity for participants to discuss a
specific theme,
issue or significant recent publication. A maximum of six active participants
is recommended. While a roundtable proposal will not be as detailed as a
panel proposal, it should explain fully the purpose, themes or issues, and
scope of the session.

*Individual papers* give scholars an opportunity to participate in the
conference
even if they are not able to put together a complete panel. Papers may be
co-authored. However, only the names of registered participants will appear
on the program.

The Executive Committee encourages members to submit proposals that, by
focusing on more than one region or by drawing on more than one discipline,
will attract a broad range of scholarly interest. Suggestions for innovative
alternatives to the panels, individual papers and roundtables described
above are also encouraged.

The Executive Committee also strongly encourages graduate student
participation and will give favorable consideration to panels that embed
students alongside more seasoned scholars.

Since 2014 the ASCJ has awarded the L.B. Grove Graduate Student Paper
Prize. For details on this competition please see the “Conference” section
of the ASCJ website. To be considered for this prize the student must be
enrolled in a degree program at a Japanese university and be accepted as a
presenter at the ASCJ 2021 Conference. The deadline for submission of the
completed paper is June 15, 2021. The winner will be announced at the time
of the keynote lecture.

Everyone worldwide interested in Asian Studies is invited to participate.
Unfortunately, we cannot provide visa support and can only provide letters
of invitation for those listed on the program for ASCJ.

Please check our website for further information:  https://ascjapan.org

Christopher Bondy

ASCJ President

ascjconf at gmail.com