[KS] Korean War (other terms)

Jim Hoare jim at jhoare10.fsnet.co.uk
Sat Nov 19 08:02:35 EST 2005

While I agree that we often think of Germany in the "Fatherland" context, I suspect that the DPRK is echoing the Soviet Union's "Great Fatherland War" (1941-45) rather than Nazi Germany.

That said, I think my German colleagues in Pyongyang were somewhat disconcerted to find that their Korean interpreters usually referred, in German, to Kim Jong-il as "Der Fuehrer". That, and the torchlight processions for Army Day and some other occasions, really did evoke memories of Nazi Germany.

Jim Hoare