[KS] Question re. Buddhist term "Hwajangchalhae"

Sem Vermeersch sem.ver at btinternet.com
Tue Feb 2 21:35:38 EST 2010

Dear Deberniere,

The best starting point to find sound explanations/translations of Buddhist terms is the Digital Dictionary of Buddhism: http://buddhism-dict.net/ddb/
There you will find that hwajang or "Lotus treasury" is probably an abbreviation of Yonhwajang segye or "Lotus treasury world," "The world created through the vows and practices of Vairocana Buddha."
Ch'arhae means either "land and water" or "the flagpole of a monastery...symbolic of Buddhism."
What the "term" implies, however, depends on the context in which it is used; I'm not even sure whether it is a term, it might be just two consecutive words lifted from a sentence. From a quick search through the SAT daizokyo Buddhist text base, I would venture the expression is just an other way of indicating the "Lotus treasury world." However, I never read through the Hwaom (Avatamsaka) sutra, so my understanding of the rich Hwaom imagery may well be off!
Hope this helps,

Sem Vermeersch